Barb gets her first look at the boat.
Arriving back on the Island after a long day of driving and shopping for our upcoming guests, I took Barb over to the boat and showed her some of the work I had done. She was happy with the boat and was excited.
Hoisting the Sails! A little help from our friends. And some cleaning.
I believe the proper term would be bending on and hoisting the sails.
Captain Ric, came over to help with this one. We first hoisted the mainsail slowly while putting the mainsail slugs in the track. We found the last two slugs cracked and broken and they would not stay in the track, so new ones would need to be sewn on.
The jib was difficult to raise as everything was stiff. By the time it was nearing the top I was pulling on cable and not the line. I ended up having to winch the last bit of the Jib up. So the Headsail Halyard was another item on the list to fix.
After getting the sails set, it was then time for some cleaning. We drained, cleaned and refilled the water tanks, and wiped down all the storage areas and cabin teak. We also checked out why the galley and head whale water pumps were leaking. Bad seals on both. Since they are both outdated pumps, and we would rather replace than rebuild, we added those items to our growing list.
Help from Captain Ric
Hosting the Jib
scrub a dub
shoulda bought a pump
thirsty for beer
Let’s take her out. Breaking the law. A two for one docking!
June 25th 2015 was not only our fourth anniversary, it was also the first time we took out the Egress for a motor. It was smart to motor since we had some issues with the sail track and a couple of the slugs. I really was anxious to get the sails up but it could wait a bit. It was more important on this day just for Barb and I to enjoy ourselves on the boat and then cook out on the boat after we docked for our anniversary dinner. It was a wonderful first motor. Continue reading “What I did on my 2015 summer vacation (Part 3)”